We hope you'll join us for some fun winter sewing with our first contest! The Ugly Sweater Quilt Block contest is the perfect chance to dig through that stash, pull out the ugliest thing you can find and put it to good use! You've seen the Ugly Sweater blocks pop up over Christmas, but don't be mistaken - there is room for a good ugly sweater all year long! Pick your favorite ugly fabric (the uglier the better) and let's get started!
Here's what you need to do. If you haven't already done so, purchase our Ugly Sweater Quilt Block pattern
. It is a paper piecing pattern that include three variations of sweater blocks. If you haven't paper pieced before don't sweat it. Check out this youtube video
for a great explanation or sign up for our Intro to Paper Piecing class
. We promise it's easier than you think! And our contest is not
judged on perfection but creativity!!
Once you've got paper piecing figured out, it's time to dig through that stash of yours! Find the ugliest thing that inspires you and start scheming your block. Can't find anything to go with your ugly fabric? No problem! Bring it in, we would love to help you find some great fabric combinations to really set it off.
Now it's probably time to start dreaming up the perfect project for your block. Contest entries do not just have to be quilts! We want to see YOUR creative ideas. Turn your block (or blocks!) into a pillow, wall hanging, tote bag - the sky's the limit! Add buttons or bling and really bring it to life. Whatever you can dream up, we want to see it. Here are your only limitations:
- You must have at least one Ugly Sweater quilt block made from the Modern Textiles pattern in your project.
- Your finished project must not be bigger than 60" square.
- At least one piece of fabric in your project must be from your stash.
- Any purchased fabric for your project must be bought at Modern Textiles.
- You must purchase (or have purchased) and use the Modern Textiles Ugly Sweater Quilt Block pattern.
- You may enter up to 5 projects.
- You must complete this Entry Form and a Project Card. Both will be available in the shop when you drop off your project.
- Not able to drop off your project in person? You can mail your project to us to be entered. Please include a completed Entry Form. You will be responsible for return shipping costs via USPS Priority Mail. You must be able to pick up your project at the conclusion of the contest between April 12-14, 2017.
The contest runs from January 1 - March 31, 2017. Drop off your project(s) anytime during regular store hours! We will be displaying the projects as we receive them. Projects will be judged by Modern Textiles' staff and instructors and YOU! People's choice voting will be held from April 1 - 10. The whole contest will wrap up with a party and the awards announcement on April 11 from 6-9pm
! We love any reason for a good party!
So there you have it! No reason not to join in on the fun. And now the most important part - the PRIZES!!
Most Creative Project: $100 Modern Textiles Gift Card
Ugliest Fabric: Janome DC1050 courtesy of Blow's Sew 'N Vac
People's Choice Award: $50 Modern Textiles Gift Card
We can't wait to see how you bring the Ugly Sweater Quilt Block to life! Questions about the contest? Email us!
For more inspiration check out our Tribute Post
where we used special vintage fabrics in honor of special people in our lives.